It’s a curious fact that when you’re young you never think you will get old. These days being old is nothing like it once was. People today are active aging – or, if you prefer, ageing – with anti ageing cream, health and ageing programs, computers and what have you and, in many cases, they have more money to spend in retirement, so what is ageing today? Below you will find a number of websites that deal well with the process and for those of you not yet aged you might be surprised at what there is. Also with so many recreational activities now available to all people, at the very least old people are using facebook in dramatic numbers to communicate and make new friends.
- National Council on Seniors Drug and Alcohol Rehab – Care for senior citizens struggling with addiction.
- National Institute of Aging – Government site with information on research and practical resources for the aging population.
- Aging and Mental Health – Information about aging and psychosocial and psychiatric treatment of the elderly.
- Aging Issues Message Board – Forum on the process and affects of aging.
- The Gerontological Society of America – Multidisciplinary society for professionals in the field of aging. Focuses on promoting the scientific study of aging.
- Healthy Aging Campaign – National, ongoing, health promotion designed to broaden awareness of the positive aspects of aging and to provide inspiration to adults, ages 50 plus, to improve their physical, mental, social and financial health.
- InfoAging.org – Provides research-based information on a wide range of age-related diseases, conditions, issues, features, and news.
- International Aging Research Portfolio – The IARP is a non-profit open-access knowledge management system. Scientists and organizations can track, analyze and visualize grant, publication and other research data in biomedical science worldwide.
- Science of Aging Knowledge Environment – Archive of news, commentaries, disease case studies, databases, and other resources pertaining to aging-related research.